So you want to be a teacher? This is a great profession when chosen wisely. Each state has a different method for teacher certification in the United States. However, in general you will need to get a bachelor’s degree, typically in either education or in the subject matter which you are planning to teach. Most states require advanced training of some sort and in most cases a passing grade on a certification exam. When the need is extreme, a state will institute alternative means of gaining certification in some cases. Following we will look at the requirements for two states to see the differences in how you can get certified depending on the state. This will also give you a general taste of what might be required before you become a teacher. In the state of Florida, the method of certification for teachers depends on the credentials and experience of the person involved. There are different tracks depending on whether you graduated from an approved program, a non-approved program, an out-of-state program, or a program outside of the United States. Here is the track for someone who is a new teacher candidate graduating from a Florida college.

How to be a teacher

First of all determine whether your program was approved by the state through the Florida Teacher Education Website. You must take the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) and pass all three portions in case the program was approved. If you have graduated from an approved program and passed all three portions, you will receive a Professional Florida Educator’s Certificate. You will be granted a 3-year temporary certificate giving you time to complete any additional required coursework and pass the three portions of the exam in case our program was not approved or you did not pass all three portions of the FTCE. You must complete an application and pay a fee, which is currently $75.00 once this is determined.  You will be mailed an “Official Statement of Status of Eligibility once completed. This will either say that you are eligible or you are not eligible to be granted a temporary or professional certificate. However, you will not receive your certificate until you get a job teaching for the state. It will list steps you need to take to become eligible before being allowed to be employed as a teacher in case your statement says you are not eligible. You will need to find a job and get your fingerprints cleared. You are given your temporary or permanent teaching certificate. There are two types of certificates in California: preliminary and Professional Clear Credential. The first is only valid for 5 years. The second is renewable after five years. Following are the steps to getting a preliminary credential. To get a renewable Professional Clear Credential teachers must also complete a Professional Teacher Induction Program and obtain National Board Certification in addition to this. Both of these states have a couple of things in common: they require a bachelor’s degree, they require a completion of some form of teacher preparation program, and they require the passage of specific exams.